Yoga Poses For PCOS & Benefits Of Yoga In PCOS
Things you will learn about
Nowadays Yoga poses for PCOS keywords are getting more search on google. There are so many women suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and polycystic ovarian disease. Day by day the ratio is getting bigger throughout the world.
Today we are going to discuss the relation between PCOS & Yoga, and also yoga poses for PCOS.
What Is PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)?
PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a type of hormonal disorder that leads to enlargement of the ovaries along with small cysts over the ovaries and the edge of the ovaries.
The ovaries of women having PCOS produce higher levels of androgen compared to normal women, which causes the development and release of the eggs from the ovaries. From released eggs some of the eggs develop into cysts having little sacs filled with liquid content. Instead of being released during ovulation, these cysts grow in the ovaries and become enlarged.
PCOS is a heterogeneous disorder that affects about 7% of adult women.
Women suffering from PCOS also produce higher-than-normal amounts of the male hormone, this hormonal imbalance causes various symptoms like menorrhagia, heavy bleeding during menses, hirsutism and it also affects pregnancy and makes it tough to get pregnant.
PCOS also causes hair growth on the face and body, this excessive hair growth on the body is defined as hirsutism. Also, PCOS can contribute to long-term health problems like diabetes and heart disease.
Research suggests that 5% to 10% of females 18 to 44 years of age are affected by PCOS, making it the most common endocrine abnormality.
Women seeking help from health care professionals to resolve issues of obesity, acne, amenorrhea, excessive hair growth, and infertility often receive a diagnosis of PCOS. Women with PCOS have higher rates of endometrial cancer, cardiovascular disease, dyslipidemia, and type-2 diabetes mellitus.
What Are The Causes Of PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom)?
The exact causes are not found yet, but there are chances that the following factors can lead to conditions Like PCOS.
- Overabundance of insulin
- Inflammatory causes
- Hereditary causes
- Excess androgen.
Here we have just defined the factors, we will write an article about the causes of PCOS in detail through which you can get some more information about it.
What Is Yoga?
Definition of yoga:- Yoga is ancient Hindu spiritual practice of ascetic discipline including breath control, adoption of specific body poses or posture with simple meditation for a healthy and relaxed body.
Yoga is widely practiced in India as well as also in western countries nowadays, it helps to reduce stress and also improve your inner mind wellness and your physical health.
Also, 21 June is celebrated as international yoga day.
What Is The Role Of Yoga In The Treatment Of PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom)?
Yoga can help a human being in treating various kinds of health as well as mental disorder like depression and anxiety also. Women suffering from PCOS and achieve unbelievable progress to treat the PCOS.
Yoga helps to decrease testosterone level
Studies found that yoga can help to fight against mental conditions like anxiety and depression, and also it helps women having PCOS to decrease the testosterone level in their bodies.
Testosterone is a male dominant hormone, but due to hormonal imbalance and excessive release of androgen, its level becomes high in women with polycystic ovaries.
In research, it is found in women with PCOS do yoga for 1 hour for 3 times a week for three consecutive months. It can lead to a 29 % decrease in testosterone levels in the body.
Yoga Provoke Normal Functioning Of The Body
Yoga can help to initiate normal functioning of the body, thus it can help to balance the hormone level and also helps to the normal functioning of the endocrine system.
This will lead to a decrease in excessive androgen levels which helps to improve the condition like PCOS.
Yoga For Mental Health.
Sometimes poor mental health or mental condition can lead to the release of more amount of stress hormones. These stressors can cause the PCOS condition worse.
Practicing yoga daily can help to reduce mental stress and this yoga can help in the treatment of PCOS.
Best Yoga Poses for PCOS
The best yoga poses for PCOS purpose is loosening up the pelvic area and resting the mind and body. Here we have suggested the following yoga poses for PCOS that you can try out during or to treat PCOS at home.
Reclining Butterfly Pose (Suptbandhkonasan) for PCOS
- First, you have to make a diamond shape with the legs by sitting on the floor with your legs extended. Take the soles of the feet together with the knees out to the side.
- Rest back either on the floor or a bolster. Put your hands on your stomach or belly. You can also put your hands on the outside.
- Remain in the position and count five to ten breaths, you can also remain for some more time if you are at the advanced level of yoga.
- To release the position, roll onto your side and use your hands to help you back up to sitting.
Benefits of Reclining Butterfly Pose In PCOS
The butterfly pose for PCOS treatment has various advantages. By this yoga pose for PCOS about 5 minutes every day or alternate days can help to stimulate abdominal organs especially the ovaries and the urinary bladder. Also, it will stretch and loosen the inner thighs and groin area and helps to prevent irregular menstruation, and relieves cramps during menses.
Side Tip: If you are a, you might not be able to do the butterfly asana correctly. Do not put extra pressure on your thighs; it can cause cramps later.
Sun Salutation (Surya namaskar) for PCOS
Surya Namaskar for PCOS is one of the best yoga for PCOS homes.
Repeating the Sun Salutation pose at least five times every day can help in weight loss, improve lipid profile, achieve a lower waist to hip ratio and regulate the menstrual cycle. Surya Namaskar should be a part of your daily yoga for irregular periods, PCOS and PCOD.
Side Tip: Take it slow; you do not have to be fast at this. Pausing for two seconds at each pose can be beneficial.
Anulom Vilom for PCOS
How To Do Anulom Vilom
- First, sit in the meditation pose. Keep your backbone and neck erect or straight with closed eyes.
- Now keep your mind clear and calm of everything outside of this time.
- Begin with your outer wrists leaning on your knees.
- Utilizing your right hand, fold your middle and index fingers toward your palm.
- Put your thumb on your right nostril and your ring finger on the left nostril.
- Close your right nostril with your thumb and inhale through your left nostril, slowly and deeply, until your lungs are full. Focus on your breathing.
- Next, release your thumb and close your left nostril with your ring finger.
- Exhale slowly through the right nostril.
- Now do it in reverse, this time inhaling through the right nostril and exhaling through the left.
Benefits Of Anulom Vilom In PCOS
PCOS is sometimes a psychosomatic disorder and thus it requires both psychic and somatic treatments side by side. Practicing Anulom Vilom daily for at least 10-15 minutes will help you to decrease your stress and helps to treat PCOS.
It helps to purify the energy channels called Nadis and allows a resistance-free flow of spiritual or vital energy also called prana.
Bow Pose (Dhanurasana) for PCOS
How To Do Bow Pose
- Rest down on your stomach with your feet slightly apart, about parallel to your hips, including placing your arms on the side of your body.
- Gradually, fold your knees up and hold your ankles with your hands.
- Inhale and lift your chest off the ground and pull your legs up and stretch it out. You should feel the stretch on your arms and thighs.
- Hold the pose for 12-15 seconds, paying attention to your breath as you take long, deep ones.
- Slowly bring your chest and legs back to the ground, release your hold on the ankles, and relax with your hands on the side. Repeat for a few sets.
Benefits Of Bow Pose In PCOS
This yoga will help you in reducing your stress levels and anxiety. Practicing this yoga alternate days will increase circulation to the pelvic region and help stretch various body parts at once- neck, back, shoulders, legs.
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana) for PCOS
How To Do Cobra Pose
- Place your hand’s palms down on the ground beneath your shoulders.
- Lift your chest up off the ground by straightening your arms.
- Gaze upwards and keep your abdominals engaged.
Benefits Of Cobra Pose In PCOS
The cobra pose stretches the abdominal organs and boosts ovarian functions. Hold this pose for about 10-15 seconds to get good results from one of the best yoga to cure PCOS.
Here we have discussed the best yoga poses, if you have any doubts regarding yoga and PCOS you can let us know in the comments section below.